Powered By Blogger

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Airplanes in the Night Sky

The basic message in this song is that simpler is better. We forget about that a lot. Life is not simple enough anymore. I think back fondly to the times when all I had to worry about was whether enough kids could come out after dinner to play tag or dodgeball.

I could take a lesson from my son. Each night, I "pick up" his toys in the living room. Really what I'm doing is making a distraction for him. He loves knocking down towers - can't stand to have anything stacked even by 2. So, I make tiny little towers, placed strategically around the room. I also replace all his books on his shelves, and put a few toys on shelves that he can reach. He's standing on his own little by little, and the look of pride on his face as he pulls himself up high enough to reach the books and pull them down is worth the nightly effort. It will take him at least until noon to find all of his 'treasures.' Simpler. He has so much fun racing (crawling speed has increased exponentially!) from down the hall, finding the booty, and decimating Mommy's work.

If airplanes look like shooting stars, it would be nice to be able to wish on them all; especially considering the fact that I live in the path of the airport. A lot is changing for us this summer. I'll keep you posted as things develop, but I cannot say more just now. Summers used to be so simple. Its something we have to strive for - to make choices that simplify our lives. To deliberately choose to not sweat the small stuff or fret over things we cannot control. Live life like an infant discovering a tower in the living room that can be knocked down.

No comments:

Post a Comment