Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Breath of Fresh Air

Today, Steve and I got to take a break from our hectic, adult lives to spend lunch with our beautiful son and his classmates. It was such a nice interruption to surround ourselves with tiny bubbles of energy and excitement and giggles and chatter. Piping up voices that told story after story. Repeated phrases and pantomime and more giggles. So refreshing.

I teach high school juniors and seniors. To go from watching my students, kids who are too cool to look like they care about anything, even though they desperately do, to ones who were no more than three feet tall and bouncing with joy at the mere thought of chocolate milk made me walk back in to school and finish the day with a huge grin plastered to my face.

Would I want that all the time? No. There is a reason I teach high school. But spending an hour with them was sheer joy. I can only hope I get to accompany the wonderful teachers who care for my son and his friends on a field trip. I would love it. And it would give me a bank of giggles from which to draw when things get too heavy, too dark, too stressed to see straight. In the meantime, we're going to the pumpkin patch this weekend. It was a welcome reminder of enjoying the simple things in life, and taking in as much living as you can. Like drinking a bottle of chocolate milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment