Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Never-Dry Pork Chops

Growing up in Wisconsin, pork chops and applesauce were a staple and regularly in our family repertoire. I had my hand in the cooking of many of our family meals - we had a rather large blended family, and everyone had their share of chores or duties. I tended to gravitate towards the kitchen, though we all rotated with our respective duties.

It wasn't until after I moved out and Steve and I were living together that I realized I didn't really know how my Mom cooked her pork chops. Allow me to pause for a moment and say that Southern pork chops are not at all what I was accustomed to with our German/Polish roots in Wisconsin. I was at a loss as to how to go about preparing them and cooking them.

I gave it my best shot. They were fantastic, and Steve has never had a complaint about them. Years later (18, in fact), he still requests them on a regular basis. I made them tonight. I have never had my pork chops dry out - even when I've overcooked them. 

What you'll need:
cinnamon and garlic
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil
pork chops

Rinse the chops in a clean sink and allow them to rest there to drain while you get your pan ready.
Preheat a pan with liberal amounts of olive oil. When it no longer coats the pan and seems to run like water, you're ready.
Sprinkle the exposed chop with salt, LOTS of cinnamon, and garlic powder (pepper to taste).
Put this side face-down in the pan.
Make sure you move them around a little to get them seared so they don't stick to the pan and burn.
While that side is searing, sprinkle the exposed side with the same ingredients.
Give the chops another moment, then flip them. Allow side 2 to sear.

After the chops are completely seared on both sides, add water. 

You heard me. Water.
I would say I add about 1/2 cup.

Let the chops simmer in the water, flipping occasionally. 

In all - I would say this takes 20 minutes. It is just enough time to get the rest of dinner going and wrangle a hungry baby without the chops drying out and becoming tough.
 This photo was taken right after I added the water.
The chops are tender, moist, and full of garlicky cinnamony goodness. To really fit in with the German side of me, be sure to eat each piece dipped in applesauce. YUM!

Please let me know if you try these! Bon appetit!

1 comment: