Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Dandelion Cookies

Continuing on with my fascination of dandelions (and their light floral scent and taste, plus their incredible health benefits...), my son and I made dandelion cookies this past weekend. If you recall, I attempted to make Dandelion Jelly earlier this spring. But more dandelions have since bloomed, and we have not yet mowed, so dandelions I must use whilst I can. 


My son begins to prep the bright, open flowers (only use fully ripe blooms from dandelions that have been picked in clean areas - no mowing, no nearby car exhaust, no spraying for weeds, etc.) by snipping the yellow petals and stamens from the bloom heads. You'll need about 1/2 cup of these, which you'd think isn't much, but surprisingly, will not fill as quickly as you'd expect. Thankfully, I had quite the number of perfect dandelions in my yard.


 Save the part you don't use. I collected these to put into a jar for making salve - with the heads I collected that I did not use.

**You can freeze the heads, but be careful of ice crystals and their subsequent added moisture when you thaw them. Depending on what you're making, you will  want to dry them slightly before adding to the recipes.


My son is adding the remaining heads and the shorn heads to a large jar, to which I will add enough good quality olive oil to begin soaking the heads to make my salve.


Add the flower shavings to your batter, mix, and drop in dollops on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake approximately 15 minutes, allow to cool, and enjoy!


They're so pretty!


Mine spread and ended up more like tuiles than cookies. But that did not diminish their taste. They're lovely. They're light and slightly-floral. And they didn't last.

Dandelion Cookies

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1 cup of gluten-free flour
2 eggs
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of oatmeal
1/2 cup of dandelion flowers

Preheat the oven to 375*.
Whip together the wet ingredients. 
Sift together the dry ingredients. 
Fold into one another. 
Fold in the flower petals. 
Drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment paper covered cookies sheet.
Bake approximately 15 minutes, or until lightly browned, and allow to cool.
Enjoy!

They're healthy, easy, and won't last! Let me know what you think of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment