Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Insights of the Toddler Mind




We finally got snow this year. It decided to all come at once rather than allow us to enjoy it throughout the winter of 2011-2012, but it was beautiful and worth the wait.
The Nichols family pose in front of our next-door neighbor's matching snowmen. We had no part in either the building of nor the tearing down (a.k.a., melting the next day with temps in the 50s), but it was fun to pose!

A very contemplative Syd wandered around in his new boots that are 3 sizes too big. But we didn't think he'd need them until next year! He will hopefully remember this lovely evening, as this is the first time I think he's old enough to do so. He didn't talk much. Just wandered around the two adjoining yards and ours, watching his footprints and the rest of the world erase.

We went immediately from 20 degree weather with the beautiful snowfall to having 70s and a tornado warning by the end of the week. I have no idea what game Mother Nature is playing, but to keep Syd occupied as he recuperated from a cold, we invested in a child's weed eater. He is obsessed with yard maintenance, and has been asking for Daddy to mow and weed eat! So, we figured we'd just get him his own...

Mommy succumbed to the creeping crud at school. It really knocked me on my tail, too. I don't think I've rested this much since before Syd was born. But, with Daddy taking the lead and letting me conk out on the couch, I am on the mend! In the meantime, Syd was brave enough to cuddle with Mommy, as long as we could cuddle Yi-yi (silkie) and Blue Bear at the same time.



Now, for the fun part...



I decided to use up some homemade cookie dough yesterday evening, after I finally felt like maybe eating sometime in my life again.



Syd was fascinated. He would press his cheek against the oven door and gaze at the lumps of dough rise and spread in the soft glow of the oven light.



When I pulled each pan out and laid the cookies on the paper bag to soak up extra grease and cool, he watched me through very somber eyes and asked, repeatedly, when he could have a cookie. He is 2, after all.



Tonight at dinner, I gave him his cup of yogurt and spoon to keep him busy, then turned back to finishing dinner for all of us.



In the midst of turning from microwave to oven to cabinet and back again, I saw him deliberately scoop yogurt out of his cup. I presumed it was for his mouth.



Instead, he dumped the lot onto the little foil lid from his yogurt cup.



"What are you doing, Syd?



"Making cookies."



Little sponges, aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment