Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 17, 2010

And the Winner Is...

Nigella. I tried the recipe from the church ladies yesterday and ran into the same problems as with my other recipes. Theirs, however, had the added effect that there really wasn't much flavor in the dough, itself. Refusing to give up and desperate for some really good blueberry muffins, I tried my last recipe. Should have started here, but isn't that how it always goes?

Nigella's Blueberry Muffins

1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
I add cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg

6 Tbsp melted butter
3/4 cup butter milk OR 1/2 cup each of milk and yogurt
I used vanilla yogurt to add the vanillan flavor, too, otherwise, I would add a tsp of vanilla, as well
1 egg
1 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and melt butter - let it cool. Beat the buttermilk, egg, and butter together. Add in the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix. Fold in the blueberries and dollop in to your muffin tins (cups or greased). Bake for 20 minutes. Makes 10 regular-sized muffins, so plan accordingly.

I don't usually keep buttermilk around, unless I know I'm going to be doing a lot of baking or planning on making homemade biscuits, so I used the yogurt addition. I whisked the wet ingredients together before adding the dry, and already, I could see they would be less dense than the previous recipes. They were light and fluffy with a very nice flavor to both the dough and the blueberries. YUM! I plan on measuring out several baggies worth of the dry ingredients to make it easy to pop them out when we're in the mood for muffins. And Syd is always in the mood for muffins!

And, on a separate note, Syd finally got his 2nd top tooth!! I have never seen a child whose top teeth did not come in one right after the other, but at least we didn't have to wait another 4 months for this one! Obviously, it's too small to include pictures of it, just yet, but it looks like it's going to be as big as his other, so I expect quite a few humorous pictures to be posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment