Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Memories



So, last week I allowed myself to be a little more laissez faire when we were going for our nightly "walk inna weeds." It was raining lightly, but, like tonight, it was almost a balmy rain. A driveway down the block from ours does not drain well, or as Steve says, at all. A beautiful, 6+ inch deep puddle formed at the bottom of the driveway. Syd started splashing.

Daddy wasn't thrilled with this, and wanted to know why I didn't freak out. It was a warm night. He had his winter coat on, and we were running the gas tank on fumes to ensure a quick bed time. Syd still takes a nightly bath, so I honestly didn't see the point in fussing over him, in fighting over whether or not we bypassed the puddle, or worrying about laundry, since we had another pair of shoes he could wear until those dried out. Besides, he's growing out of his shoes so quickly (width, not length. THAT's going to be fun soon... Just jumped another shoe size in width, yet he still has nearly an inch of toe room...) it didn't matter if he 'ruined' them.

He was having so much fun. If only that driveway were twenty feet further down the road, we would have been under a street lamp and able to get some footage. The woman who lives in the house came outside to smoke a cigarette. She was quite entertained just watching him jump, run, splash, shriek in laughter, fall on his face (ugh!) and get up ready to jump again.

It tickled me so much just to watch him do this. I wish I wish I wish I had this on tape. Maybe we can capture it again before the sun goes to bed... But it made me think -

One of my absolute favorite holiday memories was when I was... 9? Ish? Grandma made each of us our own blanket - mine still sits on my living room couch - white with pink flowers and blue butterflies. We had spent the weekend making our slew of Christmas cookies - peanut bars (cake coated in frosting and rolled in crushed peanuts. Oh, yum.), toffee bars, Butterfingers (Mexican Wedding cookies), popcorn balls, and those little sugar cookies made from the cookie press - shapes of stars, and diamonds, and all decorated with colored sugar. Yummers...

Anyway - Mom told us all to go get changed in to our pajamas. We came downstairs to find our blankets spread out in the living room. She had trays full of the cookies and bowls full of popcorn. And that was our dinner. We ate Christmas cookies and sat around, wrapped in our blankets and watching Rudolf and Frosty and The Grinch. This was back when that was pretty much all they had - no Shrek, or Elf on the Shelf, or Virginia. And I don't quite recall what we did after - probably went to bed, but I do know that I was so shocked that I got sugar for dinner. And we had so much fun. It was a wonderful time of family and togetherness and throwing the 'rules' to the wind. What's childhood without some of that every once in a while? Isn't that one reason why we want to return to the "Land of Innocence?"

What is your favorite holiday memory? What one time really sticks out in your mind? Share. I'd love to hear from you. And if you're all having issues with commenting on others' blogs like I am (I SWEAR I'm not ignoring you...Just don't know what the issue is.) then send me a text or an email. I'd love to hear your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment