Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Return to the Kitchen

After the endless biscotti baking of the holidays and receiving baked goods from loved ones, too (YUMMERS!), I actually started to get tetchy to get back in to the kitchen. I've been here - crock-pot roast anyone? (Was truly fabulous - marinated in merlot, garlic, a touch of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, celery seed, rosemary) But I haven't baked since before Christmas, including my weekly muffins.

I had buttermilk left over from something - I don't even remember what it was at the moment, and I couldn't help but think that pancakes sounded ideal for this morning - the end (almost) of one semester, a 3-day weekend coming up, a beautiful weekend ,too, after a week of some pretty frigid temperatures and hit-or-miss snow. Mmm...Buttermilk pancakes.

I didn't have a recipe, but I did a search and found one that had been reviewed over a hundred times at 5 stars. So, I'm bringing that to you, now. Enjoy, and let me know how yours turned out. Steve isn't keen on blueberries in pancakes, but since you drop the blueberries in after you spread batter in the pan, I made some with and some without. I have come to the conclusion, though, that making these one at a time is rather time consuming, so I think I may have to treat myself to a griddle pan that'll go on more than one burner.

Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes

Whisk together:

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Beat together:

2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup (half a stick) melted butter

Additional ingredients:
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Fold the wet ingredients in to the dry ingredients. Do NOT over mix! It is better to have dry lumps than to over mix, otherwise the pancakes will turn out heavy.

Drop the batter on a skillet - I greased with olive oil - and if you want blueberries, drop them on top of the batter. They'll sink in to the airy, fluffy batter.

Oh so yummy. Syd ate about half of mine...

No comments:

Post a Comment