Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Alas, the magic is gone...And more discussion on Food!

We did get up this morning. At 3 am. And 3:30 am. I was hesitant to nurse only because I know Sydney is capable of sleeping through the night, and I don't want him to get into the habit of waking up and needing consoling. And because I am nursing, it usually is Mommy who gets up with him.

But at the same time, he's entering a new range of developmental gains, and all evidence points to the fact that during these times, he will regress in other areas. Besides, his tummy was actually rumbling. He's 5 1/2 months, today, and I know that around 6 months is supposed to be the next age of developmental gain. Therefore, I have to assume that after trying to get him to go back to sleep at 3, and having that only successful for 30 minutes, he truly needed me to get up with him at 3:30.

So, I gave him some Tylenol (he was a little warm), nursed him, and put him back down. He slept only until 5:20. Not enough for Mommy to feel like she was human. Thus, we had an earlier date on the couch than I initially expected. Unfortunately, this was not the magic it was yesterday - he was more restless, which means I was more restless.

And his eczema rash is worse. Nothing is helping. I've been polling everyone - from friends to my sisters to my mom...the most common suggestions were to use Aquaphor (FABULOUS on diaper rash...) and to bathe every night, but quick baths, and apply thick lotion after. My sister said her sister-in-law suggests verdeso foam, but it is a prescription drug. I've also tried a weak hydrocortisone cream with little result.

But now, his cheeks are actually swelling - he looks like he has little piggy eyes. As soon as the doctor's office opened, I called and made an 11am appointment. I've got some pictures, but I haven't loaded them from my camera just yet. As soon as I do, I'll post them here for you to peruse.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Now, on to the next order of business. I made some steaks last night that were delicious. I used a cast-iron pan and heated some garlic in olive oil, then seared the steaks on both sides before popping them in the oven (400 degrees) for about 20 minutes. They came out perfect - neither Steve nor I like raw or medium raw meat. Julia Childs would be disappointed in me, I know. These were perfectly cooked through without drying out in the least. And I am convinced that using the cast-iron pan added such a nice umami to the steaks. The rest of the meal was nothing really special...fordhook limas (these are much sweeter, less dry and mealy, than regular limas, which I don't like at all...) and quinoa, which I had never made before. Quinoa is so much in the news these days for being incredibly healthy, though, so I thought I'd try it. I've actually had the package sitting in my cupboard for about 2 mos without opening it. It was time. I did not flavor it at all because I wanted to know what I was flavoring...was it nutty? Naturally salty? How could I add flavor without knowing what I might be ruining? Guess what...it needs flavor. A little nutty, but definately in need of some sea salt in the water. I added a bit of Fleishmann's olive oil butter to mine, too. It wasn't bad at all, but I think next time I'll use chicken stock to make it and add some garlic, and perhaps some herbs de provence.

The meal, though, really made me think about cooking materials. I am a true believer that my soups and stews would be even more satiating if I were to use a cast-iron stock pot. I need to get one. I haven't even looked in this area, but if anyone knows of a specific place in Virginia to pick one up, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment