Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Why having a teething infant should be an addition to Dante's 9 circles...

Oiy. That's all I have to say about that.

At what point does the administration of Tylenol become 'doping' your little one?

So, we've had two snow days in a row here on the Eastern seaboard. Yesterday, I was certain that because the portion of our street that had been plowed was completely dry, we would have school today. I went to bed dreading getting up in the morning and facing the 50 mile an hour sustained wind gusts that were forecasted for today.

My dread increased exponentially as the night wore on.

Sydney is teething. And we are all paying for it. Well, maybe not Daddy quite as much, as he was able to sleep through the 4 am, the 4:30 am, and the 5 am interruptions. Then the school's automated system called at 5:40 to tell me that we were cancelled today. Oh, and a surprise "guess who's coming to dinner" sustained gust hit us at 3 am that woke me out of a dead sleep. So, needless to say, I was functioning on rote memory this morning. But once I got that beautiful call, even if it did wake me up, I was able to relax a bit about the day.

We fell asleep on the couch today, together, mid-nursing. We slept that way for an hour and a half! And it was real sleep, with REM, dreams, drool, the works. I woke feeling not refreshed, but hazy and drugged and with the knowledge that I could easily sleep another 4 hours if allowed the opportunity.

Anyway...the morning passed well. Sydney was in a wonderful mood and we played and cooed and giggled and just had a good time with a few interruptions for nursing and naps while Mommy texted friends, read the paper, and ingnored any school work she should have been doing. We actually braved the wind to run to the grocery store. But then 4 pm hit. Ouch.

It seems that the wall for Sydney and his teeth is 3:30 to 4 pm. At that point, he is nearly inconsolable until he passes out for the night. Frozen washcloths can only do so much. And I take back anything I said in previous posts about needing to get to the gym. I get a work out with him every day. I have a sneaking suspicion that anyone who has children will shrink at least a half inch in the first year of said child's life. And the majority of that must happen while the child is teething. I also can fully brag about the fact that I've learned the "shoulder block" while cooking - holding Sydney on the far hip, and turning as far away from the stove as possible so as to keep from burning dinner while at the same time comforting a screaming baby who's cries have dissolved into hiccups until I dare put him down on his bouncy seat again, but only because I have to take an extremely hot cast iron pan out of the oven... I gave him Tylenol at 3, another dose at 7, and am contemplating trying to get him to take a dose right now at 11 to see if he'll actually sleep the night through. Oh, and we're cancelled again for tomorrow (another odd day...sigh...my poor juniors...). But that would involved waking him slightly, and I don't know if it is worth the risk.


Since we're cancelled tomorrow, we could just have another date on the couch tomorrow morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment